Friday, November 1, 2013

A Lovely Day

I was so excited about Halloween.  I thought about it way ahead of time.  I imagined my kids in the cutest costumes.  Then, I felt like maybe I was going to end up overdoing it & getting everyone all stressed out, so I decided to make it simple this year.  Right?




Cute, right?  So practical & they can use them after Halloween! They were $8.99 each at Crazy8.  I was super proud of myself, but then I had to go & complicate things.

First, I decided to make Katie a princess dress.  Then, she also had to have a pre-historic costume for school.  So, I was thinking she could use Jack's dragon hoodie (kinda like a dinosaur).

Fast forward to Halloween.  Katie wore the hoodie to school & it was my day with Jack by himself.  It was one of those days!  Just plain awful.  Fits, crying, spankings all.day.long.  I was exhausted when I went to pick up Katie from school.  I brought the kids home & put them both down for a nap & I set to finish up Katie's dress.  I looked at the clock & it was almost time for my husband to get home from work & I hadn't even started dinner.  He had a super long day (up at 5am!) & would be ready to eat & tired.  It is then that I realized that we left Jack's costume at her school! So, Jack no longer had a costume.  The only boy costume we had left in the house was what he wore last year.  #mommyfail

My husband came home tired & a little stressed.  I was exhausted.  For some reason, Jack was crying about everything.  No dinner was ready.  Nobody was in their costumes.  We had to make a decision.

Spencer went to get Taco Bell while I thought about it & he thought about it.  We decided the boys were going to watch a movie & pass out candy to the trick or treaters.  Katie & I would go out Trick or treating.  Somehow, I finished her costume & she looked adorable:



She also had a blast.  Super sweet night.

It turned out pretty well considering the long, crazy day.

Today was such a peaceful, happy day with the kids.  No stress.  Everybody was in a great mood.  Such a different day & that's how it as a parent of 2 littles.  It changes constantly.  It definitely keeps me on my toes, but it also teaches me what really matters.  I am learning to shrug off a lot of the things that make us crazy & to keep it simple - -LOVE.  I need to just LOVE them.  Everything else is just details.








No comments :

Post a Comment