Let me first say, I do not have Celiac Disease. I am interested in Gluten-Free recipes because I want to avoid white, refined flour. I love to bake, so I am learning new ways to bake. I'm looking at both Gluten-Free & Paleo recipes because I want to learn to bake in a more healthy, whole way that is also delicious.
So, one of the things I love to make is scones. So, I have been playing around with my recipe & this is the latest version; which I made today.
Gluten-Free Cranberry Almond Scones:
2 Cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour
1 1/2 tsps. Bob's Red Mill Premium Xanthan Gum
3 tbs of sugar (I used Florida Crystals Organic Sugar)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
5 tbs of unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces & chilled (You could also use Coconut oil)
1/2 cup of dried cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
1 cup of heavy cream
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp of pure almond extract
450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown.
1) Preheat your oven to 450 & adjust rack to middle position.
2) Line baking sheet with parchment paper or, like me, use your Pampered Chef baking stone.
3) Combine flour, sugar, zanthan gum, baking powder & salt with either a food processor or, I use a pastry blender.
4) Scatter butter over the top of the mixture & continue until it looks like coarse cornmeal.
5) Add cranberries & almonds
6) Stir in cream & extracts with a rubblier spatula until mixed. Do not over mix.
7) Flour your counter & drop dough onto it. Knead it until you have a ball to work with.
8) Take a 9-inch cake pan & press dough ball into it. You could use a Baker's Roller or another cake pan to flatten the top if you prefer. I just pressed it in with my hands this time.
9) Then take a spreader & run it along the edges of the pan to loosen the dough before you dump it onto your baking sheet or stone.
10) Now, take a longer knife (I like to use this thick plastic one) & divide your dough into 8-16 parts.
11) I like to wiggle the knife between each piece to make more room between each one.
12) Cook 12-15 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown. Like below:
*This recipe is based on the Simple Cream Scone recipe from