Wednesday, May 29, 2013

GF Cranberry Almond Scones



Let me first say, I do not have Celiac Disease.  I am interested in Gluten-Free recipes because I want to avoid white, refined flour.  I love to bake, so I am learning new ways to bake.  I'm looking at both Gluten-Free & Paleo recipes because I want to learn to bake in a more healthy, whole way that is also delicious.  

So, one of the things I love to make is scones.  So, I have been playing around with my recipe & this is the latest version; which I made today.

Gluten-Free Cranberry Almond Scones:

2 Cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour
1 1/2 tsps. Bob's Red Mill Premium Xanthan Gum
3 tbs of sugar (I used Florida Crystals Organic Sugar)
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
5 tbs of unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces & chilled (You could also use Coconut oil)
1/2 cup of dried cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
1 cup of heavy cream
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp of pure almond extract

450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown.

1)  Preheat your oven to 450 & adjust rack to middle position.

2)  Line baking sheet with parchment paper or, like me, use your Pampered Chef baking stone.

3)  Combine flour, sugar, zanthan gum, baking powder & salt with either a food processor or, I use a pastry blender.

4)  Scatter butter over the top of the mixture & continue until it looks like coarse cornmeal.

5)  Add cranberries & almonds

6)  Stir in cream & extracts with a rubblier spatula until mixed.  Do not over mix.

7)  Flour your counter & drop dough onto it.  Knead it until you have a ball to work with.

8)  Take a 9-inch cake pan & press dough ball into it.  You could use a Baker's Roller or another cake pan to flatten the top if you prefer.  I just pressed it in with my hands this time.




 9)  Then take a spreader & run it along the edges of the pan to loosen the dough before you dump it onto your baking sheet or stone.

10)  Now, take a longer knife (I like to use this thick plastic one) & divide your dough into 8-16 parts.  




11)  I like to wiggle the knife between each piece to make more room between each one.

12)  Cook 12-15 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown.  Like below:





Super yummy.



*This recipe is based on the Simple Cream Scone recipe from 

The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.



2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe! YUM! I seriously love baked goods, but Gluten does horrible things for my belly. I also could eat lemon curd out of the jar ;)

    I'm so excited to be NWA blogger friends! New follower. :)

    XO Kylie

    ReplyDelete