Sunday, August 29, 2010

A First Birthday Party..

 I don't really consider myself a decorator.  My house isn't going to be featured in any style magazines, but I'm ok with that.  My love is for crafts.  I LOVE paper and all things made of paper. I love to have parties, mostly to talk and see people but I love to come up with themes and decorate for them.  I think its because you can go over the top at a party, but its not permanent enough to drive you crazy in three months. My flaw is that I am a terrible procrastinator.  TERRIBLE.. in high school we had to write a ten page paper for our senior english class, I wrote the whole thing the night before! I can tell you this, I haven't really matured in this area over the years. Well maybe a little, I did really hate english. 

I had an opportunity to really craft it up at my sons recent first birthday party.  


I would like to think that if I had all the time in the world I would have any number of creative, jaw dropping scrapbooks, filled with every detail of our lives lying around our house. But my reality is a one year old and 5 months pregnant with another. An hour of energy is a luxury to me.  One thing in the area of scrap booking that I think would make life easy is a Cricut! If you have never seen these things you should look them up!  It is a paper cutting, scrapbook lovers DREAM! You put your design cartridge in the the machine, load your paper and tell it what you want to cut, then VIOLA!! Perfectly cut, intricate paper lovelies.  Awwww... what a machine. But what a price tag! $300.00   This was a non-negotiable in our family. "Honey can I spend cccooouu$300.00gghhhh on a machine that I might not use very much but makes really cute things?"  You can guess the answer.  I found a local scrapbook store that will let you bring your own paper and use theirs for only $5!!! EXCITING!! So that's where I headed and this is what I made...


I really struggled to come up with a theme for the party, but after much consideration we decided to do a Golf theme.. I know its a one year old party but in this family at least 33% are BIG fans.. and decorating would be CHEAP because we had alot of the stuff at home already.  Here are somethings I did..



Centerpiece,  on a grass table cloth.



 Golf ball inspired snacks

decoration



The color coordinated drinks with labels that said "Drew's Ace" as in hole in one..



And all together..



and finally THE cake!! It was so tasty and so not made by me.. 

So you see crafting can be for the everyday or for fun fun times... I love this kind of thing..  

2 comments :

  1. Love the banner idea, I was looking on etsy.com and they wanted $15 and more for that! Thx, now I'll make my own! I am planning a money themed party, any ideas for center piece? Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know about kate landers events on facebook.. awesome place for ideas on kids parties and paper craft ideas galore!

    ReplyDelete